Thursday, June 17, 2010

More Meal Ideas

For those of you who may be interested in what we eat around here NT family style, I thought I'd share some of our meals for the sake of interest.

Last night before I went to bed, I baked up some of the day's leftover dough into sandwich buns so they would be ready for today. That is what I use to make Josh's sandwiches that he takes to work. When it was time for lunch, I got out some of our chicken's eggs that I had previously hard-boiled and made egg sandwiches with homemade mayo. We threw in some of our freshly picked lettuce and for the kids that like onions, threw in some onions from our garden, as well. Our sandwiches were filling with all this good nutrition so one with some carrot sticks on the side was enough for everyone except for my nearly-11-year-old son, who must be going through a growth spurt right now, and he had two or three. I finished mine off with some Beet Kvass for extra nutrition. Now I know it's not the typical Standard American Diet lunch, but we sure loved it and it feels gooood in our bellies! Simple, too. I love simple. And filling. Filling is good, especially with a bunch of kids that are hungry all the time if you don't feed them right.

Last night I cooked up some tortillas on the stovetop and made a black bean filling with sauteed onions, ground beef, and red and yellow peppers. We topped them with cultured cheddar cheese, Daisy sour cream, fresh salsa, homegrown lettuce, a sprig of cilantro from the garden and homemade salad dressing. We love Mexican around here and love to try different variations of the old favorites, always using NT principles. Keeps us healthy and satisfied!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caralee! Thanks for the look into your daily mealtime! Do you make your own cultured cheese...or what brand do you use? What about butter? I'd love to know...

    I made cream cheese from homemade raw buttermilk...so simple and YUM! Boy...amazing what we've been missing out on!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Could you share more lunch ideas please? That's my hardest meal to make healthy.

    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. "egg"cellent background.. very farm-ish! that's great :o)

    ReplyDelete