Monday, June 14, 2010

What We Had For Dinner Tonight

Well, it being Flag Day and all, my children felt like we should have a holiday dinner. That was reason enough, so we cooked up some pasture-fed patties on the grill and had good ol' fashioned hamburgers with all the fixin's... Nourishing Tradition-style! My dough is great if you roll it out and cut the dough into the shape of a bun with a big round cookie cutter. I had homemade mayo and ketchup already made in the fridge, which is the way to go! Cultured cheese, freshly cut lettuce and red onions from our garden, and Bubbie's pickles (my own supply of homemade lacto-fermented pickles has run out, which I can hardly wait to replenish! Cucumbers, grow faster! ) made the hamburgers mighty tasty. Corn on the cob and baked red potato wedges on the side rounded out our meal. Oh, yes, along with Orange Creme Kefir Soda from Sally Fallon's book, Eat Fat, Lose Fat. Delicious! Afterwards, we went for a bike ride to the park. What a glorious evening!

Homemade Mayo

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk (preferably from pasture-fed chickens)
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. whey
1 teaspoon mustard or mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
(opt.- 1/2 teas. onion powder and 1/2 Tbsp. sucanat)
1 cup oil (I use 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 melted coconut oil right now. I have used 1/3 of each with 1/3 sesame oil in the past when I've had it, but I am out)

Blend all ingredients except oil in blender. WIth the lid with a hole on, pour a slow stream of oil into the running blender slowly. The mayo should thicken up nicely. Let sit for a minute or two, then pour into a glass container, cover, and let culture on the counter at room temperature for 7 hours. Refrigerate afterwards.

Homemade Ketchup (my quick version)

1 small can of tomato paste, with one can of filtered water to reconstitute
1/2 Tbsp. Real Salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tbsp. vinegar (your choice- apple cider, red wine, coconut, etc.)
1 Tbsp. whey
Opt. 2-3 Tbsp. sucanat or honey

Whisk ingredients until well blended, and consume immediately or set on counter and culture for a couple of days in a glass jar before transferring to the refrigerator.

Baked Potato Wedges

A bunch of red potatoes (I love minis)
Coconut oil, melted
Real Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Scrub and slice red potatoes in half lengthwise, then quarter each half. Set aside in large bowl until all potatoes are sliced. Meanwhile, melt coconut oil (I use approximately 1/4 cup for 20 or so mini potatoes) and pour over potatoes to cover. Stir with a large spoon and pour potatoes onto baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown and fully cooked. Serve hot with homemade mayo and ketchup.


Stay tuned for more dinner ideas, and hopefully we can get some pictures posted so you can have a peek into my fridge, my pantry, my cupboards, my food storage room, my garden, as well as some what of what our meals LOOK like!

4 comments:

  1. every time I come to your blog there is a new post!! awesome!! I love your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! we would love some pics. that would be amazing. thanks caralee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of making Mayo! That is awesome!

    How much does it make? How long does it last?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever done 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 butter? I don't have the coconut oil yet and a full cup of olive oil was too strong for me. Also I was curious how sesame oil went with those ingredients. Does it have a strong flavor as well or does it balance out with the olive oil? Thanks as always!

    ReplyDelete